American road safety statistics show that over 35,000 people are dying in crashes each year while many, many more suffer serious injuries. The figure has been rising steadily in recent generations and shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon. So, in a world where we’re told that the roads are safer than ever, what are the reasons for those figures?
There are many factors to consider, but here are the most prevalent.
- There are more vehicles on the road. When analyzing the statistics in greater depth, we can see that both deaths and injuries per million drivers are far less. This essentially means that the probability of any given driver being involved in an incident is smaller than ever before. The safety features of most modern cars reduce the likelihood of an incident causing life-changing problems. In that sense, the authorities are right when they state that road safety is at its highest.
- There are more idiots on the road. A percentage of motorists will always act irresponsibly. As the car population grows, so will the reckless driver numbers. Spotting a bad driver can keep you safer. Sadly, though, you are constantly relying on other car owners to use the roads with care. The saddest thing is that those drunk drivers and speed demons often cause harm (or even death) to innocent victims. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time can be all it takes.
- There are more recorded accidents. Once upon a time, the hassle of going through insurers and court proceedings meant it was easier to let things go unrecorded. Nowadays, drivers know that experts like Burch Law Firm can enable them to seek justice. In turn, victims are far more likely to report their accidents as the first step en route to securing compensation. This means that even smaller incidents that may have not been registered in previous generations will now show up on those studies.
- There are an increasing number of vehicle types on the road. Unfortunately, when a big lorry collides with a car, there’s a good chance that it will spell disaster. The increasing number of bikers can increase the likelihood of major problems when they are involved in car accidents. The safety features mean that car-on-car incidents are less likely to result in death. Still, the array of vehicle types can put drivers at risk in certain situations.
- There are more people trying to fix problems by themselves. Driving isn’t cheap, so it’s understandable that many motorists try to repair damage using online tutorials. In truth, the health of a car is far too important to be taking risks. Leaving it to professional mechanics like USA Automotive Repair is the far better solution for all drivers. Sadly, those that ignore the need for an expert touch are putting their lives in danger. Worse still, they could be hurting others in the process.
Car accidents are on the rise, and they show no sign of slowing down. Nevertheless, those figures only tell a small part of the story. In truth, the roads are now safer than ever. As long as you take care, there’s nothing to fear.